Text A Text rganization
1. Davos man spends a lot of time in places other than his native 2. accident of birth.
3. Davos Man believes that globalization, the unimpeded flows of unstoppable.
4. locations to buy, produce and sell their goods and services.
I. P106 1) advantageous 2) let alone
3) witnessing/vanishing 4) landmark
5) entitled 6) displace
7) Establishment 8) patriotic/strengthen
9) contradictions 10) aspires
11) divorced 12) pendulums
2. 1) come to 2) dozed off
3) believed in 4) was set apart
5) take in 6) sucks in
7) clean up 8) turn away
3. 1) For me, it makes no/little difference whether we go there by train
or by bus.
3) Shortly after their marriage, Mr. Chambers over money matters.
4) 5) She doesn’t even know how to boil 5. a) is increasingly/to accelerate/their investment
b) economy/make an earnest/domestic/strike a balance between
c) a handful of/be endorsed by/on a large scale
III. Usage P111
1. An unusual present, a book on ethics, was given to Henry for his birthday.
2. The reason(he gave) that he didn’t notice the car till too late was unsatisfactory.
3. Football, his only interest in life, has brought him many friends.
4. Cloning had been raised as a possibility decades ago, then dismissed, something that serious scientists thought was simply not going to happen anytime soon.
I. Cloze P111
3.a variety of
9. sweeping aside
9. volume 2. networking 4. growth 6. facilitate 8. outlook 10. patriotic 12.strikea balance 2.effects 4. connected 6. features 8. qualitatively 10. Distinguishing
2) I like hiring young people. They are earnest learners and committed
Is Globalization Welcome?
Is globalization welcome? Yes,it is.Indeed,there is much to be said for it.
To begin with,globalization enables corporations to search for the most advantageous locations to buy,produce and sell goods and services.Take the car for example. A certain brand of car may be designed in Germany,a country known for its automobile industry. The cars are then manufactured in China where relevant raw materials and labor are comparatively inexpensive. Finally they are sold in some Asian and Latin American countries where they are in great demand.Evidently the way things are done can benefit greatly companies and countries concerned.
Lastly,globalization helps build a more harmonious world. With the world becoming much smaller and people much closer, there must be more and more social and cultural exchanges. As a result,deeper understanding between nations is promoted and consultation prevails over confrontation.
5) A majority of
6) in evidence
7) add to
8) so be it
9) blew up
10) take advantage of
11) phase out
12) You bet
Part 1 Writing
The Mobile Phone
A decade ago, the mobile phone was a luxury for only a few.Now it is found everywhere. The rapid spread of the mobile phone is perhaps one of the miracles of modern communications history.
The advantages of the mobile phone are obvious. First, you can carry it around wherever you go. You don’t have to look for a pay phone to make a call when you are away from home or office. Besides, you don’t have to have a notebook for phone numbers as they can be stored in its memory.
With a mobile phone, you can even log your computer onto the Internet and send e-mails. What’s more, in remote areas, where it costs a lot of money to lay telephone lines, the mobile phone is a convenient substitute.
Finally, in an emergency the mobile phone can save lives. To take one recent incident, an American woman whose car got bogged down and buried in heavy snow was rescued thanks to a mobile phone she kept in her car.
However, the mobile phone still has room for improvement. One thing is the battery. You have to recharge it almost every day. If you neglect to do so, you’ll find the signal weak or receive no signal at all. Another thing is the call making a sales pitch. They are an absolute nuisance.
If the mobile phone could automatically receive important calls and filter out the unwanted ones, it would be all the better for us users.
Bacbd da 8.the gap between the rich and the poor
Part 3 Section A Section B
CACCD DACCB ACDBA CAABB BCABD
44.As an intern or co-op student,you typically receive academic credit
rather than a paycheck in exchange for your work
45.As a volunteer,you can usally get more flexibility with your time
commitment than with an internship
46.an intern at a not-for-profit organization may have the opportunity
to job shadow another employee and to engage in the same meetings and
events as their colleagues
47.J 48.M 49.F 50.G 51.A 52.H 53.L 54.B 55.D 56.O 57.C
58.B 59.A 60.A 61.A 62.B 63.C 64.A 65.D 66.B 67.B
68.A 69.B 70.C 71.A 72.B 73.D 74.A 75.B 76.B 77.A
78.A 79.B 80.B 81.A 82.B 83.B 84.C 85.D 86.B
87.has turned the driverless car into a reality
88.underestimated the heroic resistance of the Russian People
89.From the standpoint of a prospective buyer
90.The government is committed to accelerating economic growth
91. These forces that stand in the way of globalization