I. Comprehension of the Text
1. She felt that Nikolai was quite different from what she had expected; still, she was quite nervous.
2. No. Actually she was quite surprised when Nikolai suggested that.
3. They went through a lot of hard training sessions full of pain and tears. Yet the training was really productive.
4. Yes, he did. He was always practicing while others were relaxing themselves.
5. In training, they were strict coach and determined athlete; at other times, they were on good terms with each other, like friends.
6. Because Nikolai sang out instructions in a regular manner, similar to those of a dance instructor.
7. the writer achieved a fourth place in the nation, but they didn’t manage to participate in the Olympics.
8. Besides improving her skills under Nikolai’s instruction, she also learned the importance of determination with courage, heart, and discipline; most important of all, she learned to be thankful and loving while living in this world.
1. promising 2. amusing 3. lowered 4. persisted 5. rank
6. swear 7. unfair 8. presence 9. frowning 10. approximately
1. on 2. upon 3. on 4. in 5. by 6. to 7. in 8. of 9. on 10. out
V. 1.O 2.K 3.D 4.H 5.J 6.E 7.M 8.G 9.B 10.A
1. observe—observer: one who observes a person or an event
2. ski—skier: one who skis
3. visit—visitor: one who visits somebody or some place
4. learn—learner: one who learns something
5. report—reporter: one who reports on persons or events for a newspaper
6. drink—drinker: one who often drinks alcohol, esp, too much
Tropical global dangerous central environmental occasional musical natural
1. tropical 2. musical 3. occasional 4. environmental
5. global 6. dangerous 7. natural 8. central
1. they didn’t lose heart despite lots of frustration.
2. Despite the heavy rain, the boys played football in the yard all afternoon.
3. I will try my best despite the slim chances of success.
4. Despite a thorough search for the escaped prisoner in the mountain, no sign of him was found.
5. Despite their increased income, their life became poorer because of the rising prices.
1. nor do I think it necessary to do so
2. nor would they go to my sister’s
3. nor do we have her telephone number
4. Nor would I like to go to work immediately
5. now would I
1. Despite the fact that she is the only child in her family, she is never babied by her parents.
2. Mike didn’t come to the party last night, nor did he call me to give an explanation.
3. The person sitting next to him did publish some novels, but he is by no means a great writer.
4. He has no interest in football and is indifferent to who wins or loses.
5. The manager needs an assistant that he can count on to take care of problems in his absence.
6. This is the first time that he has made a speech in the presence of so large an audience.
1.B 2.D 3.B 4.C 5.B 6.C 7.A 8.A 9.B 10.D 11.B 12.D 13.B 14.C 15.D
Computers, just like any new technology, have a negative side. As more and more computers are used in production lines, many jobs are being taken over by computer-controlled machines. As a result, many workers are finding themselves jobless. This constitutes a threat to social security. Another problem is computer crimes. For example, some people are finding ways to break into the bank computer systems and transfer large sums of money to their own accounts. There have been many reports like this. One more negative effect of computers is that they bring about health problems. Sitting in front of computers all day undoubtedly affects people’s health. Back pain, wrist pain, failing eyesight, to name only a few.
I.1.D 2.A 3.A 4.C 5.B
Comprehension of the Text
1.D 2.B 3.C 4.D 5.A 6.C 7.A 8.B
1. sake 2. sacrificed 3. crack 4. pursuing 5. explosive
6. overcome 7. indicated 8. opponents 9. stripped 10. denied
1. Natasha made herself stand out in the group interview by acting as the leader in her group.
2. To be successful, you need a careful plan, good luck, help at the right time, and above all, hard work.
3. They are not doing this to gain recognition or money; they are doing this for the sake of society.
4. It was actually what he said rather than what he did that made me sad.
5. Once my mother sets her mind on something, it will be very hard to stop her.
6. Years of research had set the stage for their success in their field.
7. Local people are used to the phenomenon, so they are not surprised at all.
8. Today at this meeting we are going to focus on the question of air pollution.
9. He never expected that his best friend would charge him with cheating in the exam.
10. His parents were so strict with him in his studies that he had little time to participate in any activities outside of class.