1. --- Jimmy came close to being killed in a traffic accident the other day.
--- ______? He was driving carefully all the time.
A. When B. What C. Pardon D. How
2. --- Do you think I can pass the test?
--- ______, I’m afraid.
A. Not a chance B. Of course
C. You can D. A little bit
3. --- Next Monday is my birthday.
--- Is that so? ______
--- Thank you.
A. I don’t believe so.
B. I’m so glad.
C. What presents do you need?
D. Many happy returns of the day!
4. --- Oh, must you? Stay a bit longer. ______.
--- Thanks anyway. I’ve got an early start tomorrow morning.
A. It’s been such fun having you
B. Maybe you can have supper here
C. It’s so pleasant to meet you
D. Let’s have another chat
5. --- May I ask a favour of you?
A. It’s my pleasure B. I’ve no time
C. Ask please D. Sure, go ahead
6. --- How would you like your tea?
A. Very quickly B. As it comes, please
C. Very much D. I don’t like tea
7. --- How’s it going, Joyce?
A. Oh, okay, I guess
B. Not doing wrong
C. Sorry, I’m not so good
D. Nothing, thanks
8. --- Ken telephoned you while you were out. He seemed worried about something.
--- No, he’ll call you later.
A. Will he call again
B. What’s it about
C. Should I call him back
D. Do you know for sure
9. --- Can I help you, sir?
A. Yes, you can help me
B. No, I don’t need any help
C. Of course, if you like
D. No, thanks, I’m being served
10. --- I think you should take more exercise every day if you want to keep fit.
A. Yes, OK
B. That’s all right
C. Thank you for your advice
D. It’s very kind of you to say so
11. --- Long time no see! You look well.
--- _____. You look fine, too.
A. Thanks B. Great C. Oh, no D. Not at all
12. --- I’m going to Beijing tomorrow. My plane leaves at 8:30 tomorrow morning.
A. Is that so--- B. How wonderful!
C. Have a good trip. D. Well, goodbye.
13. --- Don’t forget to post the letter for me, will you?
A. Maybe I will B. No, I won’t
C. Sorry, I don’t D. I suppose not
14. --- I hope you don’t mind my turning on the heater.
A. Never mind B. Yes, I won’t
C. That’s right D. Not in the least
15. --- Whose advice do you think I should take?
A. It’s up to you B. You speak
C. That’s it D. You got it
16. --- Did you go Dutch after that meal, I mean, with the other five friends?
A. Yes, they did
B. Yes, they paid for the meal
C. No, they didn’t
D. No, because it was my treat that day
17. --- Thank you for your CD-ROM. I’ll return it as soon as possible.
--- ______. I’ve got another one to spare.
A. No problem B. No hurry
C. Nothing much D. Be careful
18. --- I’m sorry I can’t go with you.
--- ______? Haven’t you agreed?
A. How’s that B. What is it
C. Why don’t you D. What do you think
19. --- Good afternoon, ______? The name is David Parks.
--- Two letters, sir, and a postcard.
A. is there any mail for me
B. could you post these letters for me
C. what can I do for you
D. is that John speaking
20. --- David, it’s Frank. Do you have a few minutes? I need to see you.
--- ______. But I hope “a few minutes” doesn’t turn into an hour.
A. I’m afraid not B. It doesn’t matter
C. I don’t think so D. I guess so
21. --- Have a good Women’s Day, mom.
--- Thanks. ______.
A. You’re welcome
B. That’s all right